Western’s culture has roots etched in a family culture that existed when the company began decades ago. This cultivated a people focus for the company to expand and grow. Today’s blend of past and current cultures creates a dynamic environment for empowering employees to flourish and grow.
More than 25% of Western’s employees have worked for the company for more than 25 years. This longstanding commitment plays a significant role in our success.
- Awarded Employer of the Year by the North Vancouver Chamber of Commerce
Check our current opportunities
Wide Range of Positions
We currently employ over 1,000 employees (full-time equivalents) in a range of challenging and rewarding positions:
Administrative staff, such as IT, accountants, human resources, and health and safety personnel
Operations senior management, superintendents, logistics coordinators, and customer service support staff
- Unionized foremen and longshore workers
Locations Across BC
Our employees work at our terminals and within our stevedoring operations, located throughout the province of British Columbia:
- Lynnterm terminal in North Vancouver, BC – the Pacific Northwest’s break-bulk consolidation centre for import steel and export forest products.
- Stevedoring and terminal services to the break-bulk trade both in the Lower Mainland and on Vancouver Island, and cruise ship services at the Port of Victoria, BC.
- Intermodal cargo handling and logistics management services to the forestry and container trade through subsidiary company Coast2000 Terminals in Richmond, BC.
- Head offices based in North Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Competitive Salaries and Benefits
We believe in investing in our most important asset: Our people.
To encourage our staff to stay with the Company, we have developed comprehensive employee retention strategies, including highly competitive salaries, employee health benefit programs, defined benefit pension plan, and training and development opportunities.
We support our employees by providing opportunities to improve their overall health and general well-being, including:
- Onsite complimentary fitness centre, lockers and showers for staff use
- Corporate Fitness Challenge for staff and clients
- Co-sponsored Employee Social Fund, featuring social events for employees and their families throughout the year
- Employee Years of Service Recognition Program
- Onsite secured bike storage
- Free parking
- Staff Lunch & Learns (topics include financial planning, retirement planning, health and wellness, and more)
These benefits and opportunities have provided the foundation for long-tenured employees: More than 25% of Western’s employees have worked for the company for more than 25 years.
Learning and Development Opportunities
Aligned with the Company’s long-term succession plan, Western’s employee training, skill development and knowledge transfer programs are available to all employees.
Western supports employee learning and development through a variety of sources, including the Waterfront Leadership Certificate Program – a cooperative venture between Capilano University and the BC Maritime Employers Association.
Western Stevedoring’s parent company, Carrix, Inc. is the world's largest privately held marine and rail terminal operator. Based in Seattle, Washington, the company has operations throughout North and South America, Vietnam, South Africa and New Zealand.
Carrix fully supports Western’s efforts to maximize business growth through ongoing facilities improvements, to ensure our Company is poised to take advantage of business development and growth opportunities.
Jon Hemingway, CEO, Carrix
“Our number one objective is to engage in projects and activities that our employees feel are important.”